Saturday, June 30, 2012

Creating a mini scene + Story telling


 I had an absolutely creative and interesting story telling session with Mishu this week. In our home we love this book "The Little Red Light House and the Great Gray Bridge" A classic and a very sweet book, loved by kids and adults too. In fact I leave no chance to read it whenever my son asks me to. He has memorised phrases, sentences and dialogues from this book.
We were playing with his new toys. My husband got him a new set Lego kind of pieces. He was all frustrated yet determined to make a house that was on the box of the toy. I suggested him to try other things that he can make.
We started by joining pieces and I got a boat like structure, gradually we got other boats and the little red light house. I am on bed rest and can't move freely in the house. I hop or cover some distance with the help of a chair. If I do such stunts for more than few minutes my foot starts paining. So I quickly got a big tray from the kitchen that's always on the higher shelf and directed Mishu to get the other things. We had a lovely time full of excitement and giggles.


Things used:
  • Blocks (kind of Legos) for Little red light house and boats.
  • Homemade play dough for island and to support the bridge. I used some from the big batch of play dough I made for Mishu before my accident. I had plans to add rainbow colours to it. But guess it has to wait. :(
  • I cut out the bridge from a carton
  • Plastic dolls as worker and man.
  • Rainbow Rice as Hudson River
  • Balls with light- as beams from the light house and the bridge.
  • A big tray

 Child Participation: I really appreciate Mishu's participation in this. I couldn't have done this without his help. I am on bed (you can read more here) and he helped me in getting things from the kitchen and his toy basket. He was too excited with the whole process . He worked on building light house and adding window and door to the light house was his idea.
What did I learn: I learned much more than I had thought! I have always hesitated in trying these mini worlds. This time with whatever things we had at hand we pulled it off. When I used to see many blogger mums working on mini scenes I always thought that I lacked something and my child is missing this fun. But finally we did it.
  • We do not need lot of things to create a mini scene. Just pick what you can find in the house.
  • We do not need specific things. Just like our yellow and blue structure became the fat black tug
  • We can use a tray to arrange everything when Mum is on bed rest. :) Easy clean up too.
  • It's all about process, participation and enjoying the moment.

Story Telling: The real fun began when we did story telling. I read the story from the book. He repeated and said aloud the parts he remembered. His favorite parts are when steamer, tug and canoe greet the lighthouse and the way lighthouse speaks with its two voices...

Flash! flash! flash!
Warning! Warning!
Watch my rocks. Danger. Danger
We used the props from the scene to make it more intresting.

In fact we found it hillarious to change the book text with what we saw in our model: The fat lighthouse from the book became- thin lighthouse. We had a Rainbow Hudson river, Black tug became- blue and yellow tug.The lights we used would more fit in an ambulance scene. So our lighthouse and bridge sounded like ambulance sirens for some time. These silly things make kids laugh and it's a change to become kids with our kids.

 The inspiration comes from a very creative mommy blogger http://www.athomewithali.net/ and her very inspiring Little Worlds she make with her two adorable daughters. While I am writing this post and checked her blog to copy URL I found that it's her  blog's first anniversary today. Stop by to say congrats and I am sure you'll be hooked!
  

5 comments:

  1. Wow that is a fanatastic scene Himadri and it looks like you and Mishu are having a great time. I love it when the kids get excited and run around the house finding things for their little world. Your tips about mini world play are spot on. I often worry that sometimes little worlds look too hard but you have broached those issues perfectly.

    I hope you get better soon. :)
    Cheers
    Ali

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All thnaks to u ali! I used to check ur blog many times..look at the pics and wonder if u can do any of this or why dont I get such ideas in my head. feeling bit relieved and confident after this.
      hugs
      himadri

      Delete
  2. Loved your little world. I am surely using all those lovely tips! I love repurposing and making things with everyday stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you mansi. loved th dolls u and miheeka created. surprisingly mishu is also getting intrested in dolls these days:)))))

      Delete
  3. Himadri...loved colourful setup by u and Mishu,can imagine while pics itself Mishu had so much fun.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...